Thursday 19 February 2009

Married to Christ

I was thinking about preaching the gospel in churches and came up with this analogy, not sure whether everyone would agree with it, feel free to comment.

When a person becomes a Christian it is like an arranged marriage, they become married to Christ but it is vastly different from earthly marriage. A big similarity is that there is love at the centre - Christ loves the sinner and gives His life for them and the sinner loves the Saviour. Whilst it is important we know that we are sinners and we are lost without salvation surely it is important that as well as emphasising our sinful state the preacher needs to point us to Christ. We need to see who He is, what He has done and therefore why we should love Him and trust Him for salvation. If someone was arranging a marriage for me I would not want them to spend ages telling me about the benefits of marriage and why I need to be married, I would want them to tell me about the person whom I was to marry and why I would want to marry them - the emphasis is quite different.

1 comment:

Issie-828 said...

I agree - it is all very well being told that we need salvation, but if we are never introduced to the saviour then we will have no desire to be saved.
How wonderful it is to hear a preacher preach Christ and him crucified.