Sunday 7 June 2020

Coronavirus Reflections #12

I've found this week more difficult again. I think it is mainly from the realisation that for 12 weeks noone has been closer to me than 2m. For someone whose job was based on touch this is tough. It emphasises to me how important physical touch is for our well-being.

Once again I'm feeling so thankful that God is in complete control. This is a light momentary affliction as we await the glorious prospect of eternity with God and without sin. I'm praying earnestly that God will be using these times for His glory - the revival and revitalisation of the church as individuals and a body, for the salvation of many souls - praying for many in my family and more widely. I'm praying that I and many others will come through this with a closer walk with God and a new perspective on life. I enjoyed thinking on this verse this week from my studies of 2 Corinthians:
"and he died for all, that those who live might no longer live for themselves but for him who for their sake died and was raised." 2 Corinthians 5:15

The restrictions were lifted a little this week with children able to go back to school in reception, year 1 and year 6 but many schools have not gone back yet. We are now able to meet in groups of 6 in the garden. The weather has changed this week so it is much cooler and we had some heavy rain storms yesterday. The prime minister warned people not to retreat inside in their groups.

There have been many protests around the world over the racist murder of a black man in the USA. A terrible tragedy and important to speak up against but maybe using different means. These protests are breaking the lockdown rules and risk increasing the spread of the virus as well as some of them becoming violent.

Anxiety and distress seems to be ever more prevalent from my limited clinical sample. Clinics are busy and many are yearning for services to get back to normal. There are talks of us returning to face to face contact but a lot of changes need to be made. Risk assessments are being carried out in all areas.

This week it was announced that from the 15th June it will be compulsory to wear face masks on public transport and in hospital settings. The mind boggles as to whatever life is going to be like for the forseeable future.

We've finished the bible study on Galatians with church now. We have another preacher scheduled for the morning but will move on to a new series of afternoon studies - I think!

One more week and we will have spent a quarter of the year in lockdown... I'm sure I'll comment on that again next week.



No comments: