Saturday 14 March 2009

Urgency and faith

Last night I watched "Deborah 13, Servant of God" on BBCiplayer. Firstly I am so pleased that the BBC broadcast this programme in a fair and balanced manner. It is inspirational to see a young Christian, fervent and full of zeal with a real burden for lost souls. Whilst she puts a strong emphasis on hell she has a real sense of urgency. Hopefully she will soften a little and instead of scaring people to faith help them to see the character of God - his justice and his mercy and the saving work of Jesus Christ and His love for the lost in providing a way to eternity in heaven.







I think many of us as Christians have lost this sense of urgency. There are souls all around us who are perishing and are we concerned? We are often concerned about the decline in standards in our country and will speak openly of these but do we speak openly of the answer to these problems - a saving faith in Jesus Christ.



This also leads me on to something I have been thinking about recently, as highlighted in a previous post. We often pray about things specifically - for people to come to church or people to be healed, safe keeping, etc, and the Lord always answers our prayers with a yes, no or wait usually but how often when we have asked for something and we receive a 'yes' answer we are surprised. I have read about praying expectantly - not sure how this works out exactly because it all becomes a bit of a muddle about everything being according to God's plan - so if we ask for something specifically and believe it is according to God's will we should not be surprised when it happens. Many commentators and books emphasise the need for boldness in prayer and to pray specifically - ask great things of a Great God. I'm sure someone will correct my theology if this is all a bit confusing!

3 comments:

Rachel said...

Hi there, I hope you don't mind me commenting - I found your blog quite randomly, but it's nice to read a blog by another reformed english christian :-)

I agree about lacking a sense of urgency. I think I end up talking with people about evangelism far more than siply going out and doing it!

Rachel said...

Hi there, I hope you don't mind me commenting - I found your blog quite randomly, but it's nice to read a blog by another reformed english christian :-)

I agree about lacking a sense of urgency. I think I end up talking with people about evangelism far more than siply going out and doing it!

Cloudy skies said...

Thanks for your comment, always nice to hear from others. Yes, it is so easy to be all talk (or type!) and no action.